Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pork Caldereta

Inspired by someone's FB post, I dived into making Pork Caldereta today. I researched recipes online and most just seemed too weird--from pineapple juice to red wine! I know my mom makes a great version, but instead of asking for her secret, I sought Nora Daza's version. So along with my mom's guidance, came my Pork Caldereta that's actually pretty tasty!

Needed:

1 1/2 lbs pork stew meat or spareribs (any cut will do but I prefer ribs for the flavorful bones)

1/2 cup vinegar

10 cloves peppercorns, crushed (you can also used freshly-ground pepper)

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/4 T salt

1 medium-sized onion, sliced

1 large can tomato sauce

1 1/2 cup boiling water

2 pcs bay leaf

Dash hot sauce (like Tabasco)

1 medium green pepper, sliced thinly

1 small can liver spread

Salt and pepper to taste

How to make:

1. Marinate cubed pork in vinegar, peppercorns, salt, and garlic for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the fridge.

2. In a medium-sized pain, saute pork pieces in oil until browned. Add sliced onion. When onion appears transparent, add tomato sauce. Add 1 can (the can from the tomato sauce) of boiling water. This is approximately 2 cups. Add the bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to your liking. Let boil. Then, lower heat to allow pork to tenderize. It took me over an hour for the pork to get soft. Watch that your sauce does not dry up. If it starts to dry up, add more water until pork becomes tender.

3. When the pork is tender, add green pepper and liver spread. The liver spread will thicken the sauce.

4. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.

Serve hot over rice. Enjoy!

 

No comments: