Monday, January 25, 2010

Bottled Baby Bangus in Oil

I was actually looking for ice cream cones at the local Walgreens when I ended up with this bottle, with the ice cream cones, at the checkstand. One would not normally find such "ethnic" foods at Walgreens. Walgreens is, in-fact, a pharmacy! But only in Little Manila, they would have this in their aisles!

There are three little bangus (milkfish) packed in this tiny bottle. This brand is pretty tasty in that the oil is not too spicy. I ate it room temperature over steaming hot rice. I also had an egg over easy on the side. Yum!!! It's like a throwback to breakfast in Manila from my childhood. The cashier at Walgreens, who happens to be a Pinay (no doubt), also suggested it eaten with warmed up pan de sal. I'm salivating already. Lingayen happens to be my dad's hometown in Pangasinan, Philippines!

Bangus generally has plenty of bones, but with these baby versions, you will eat everything--the bones, the spine, the fins, everything! Good calcium resource! Plus, you will find plenty of omega 3 fatty acids in here, it's different, but it's a good break from a typical bacon and eggs breakfast.

No comments: