Thursday, November 26, 2015

Japanese Coffee Jelly



Japanese Coffee Jelly is one of those things that just takes me back directly to my childhood. Growing up in Japan, this was a "staple" and then when I went to visit Japan again when my sister lived there when I was in my twenties, I made sure I had some of these. Coffee Jelly, you say? Yes! It's coffee in jelly form. Some Japanese (not just Asian) markets carry them, but since the closest one is several miles away from home, I decided to make my own:

Needed:
2 cups room temp water
3 cups boiling water
2 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelatin powder
12 T white granulated sugar
4 T instant regular coffee
1 T Kahlua coffee liqueur (Optional)
Half and half or unwhipped cream

1. Start by boiling the 3 cups water. While waiting to boil, dissolve the 2 envelopes of gelatin in the 2 cups room temp water. This step is important because you must create the gelatin granules first to ensure a nice set texture for the product. You will get a texture like cold semi-soft jelly. Add the 3 cups boiling water and dissolve.

2. Add the coffee and the sugar. Dissolve well. Then add the Kahlua, if using.

3. Transfer the liquid into individual ramekins and take care not to fill to the brim. 

4. Let set overnight.

5. To serve, pour a little (or a lot) of half and half or cream over the jelly.

6. To eat, you can cube the jelly (like I usually do) or merely scoop the jelly with cream on your spoon. Enjoy!!

Notes: This recipe yielded approximately 12 servings in small ramekins above. The number of servings will depend on the size of the ramekins, but best to keep small as this is coffee.

No comments: