Sunday, September 21, 2014

Homemade Ice Cream

I absolutely love ice cream and what better way to feed my love for this dessert than to make my own! A Bed Bath and Beyond wedding gift card resulted in an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Maker. I have never made ice cream before and this process is fun, relaxing, and reminds me of science experiments! LOL!

I made the basic vanilla ice cream as below. I researched many recipes online and this one proved to be the easiest. It's also not custard based, so the result was simple and lighter than custard mixtures. I was very happy with the texture and the ice cream maker really does let it have the store-bought consistency and without crystals.

Needed:
1 c milk
3/4 c granulated sugar
pinch salt
2 c heavy cream
1 t vanilla

How to make:
1. Whisk together with milk, sugar, salt until sugar is completely dissolved.

I whisked this by hand using a wire whisk. You can also use an electric hand mixer, but there is really no need to when this can be done by hand.

2. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla until completely blended.

3. Chill until very cold. Be careful that this mixture does not freeze up.

4. Prepare ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

5. Pour mixture in ice cream maker and churn until almost firm. You can add chocolate chips or nuts at this point prior to finishing, but should be added only when ice cream has thickened like soft-serve ice cream. 

Ice cream pictured above includes chocolate chips and walnuts. I did not toast my walnuts and in hindsight, I should have. Without toasting, the walnuts tasted raw. You can also bake the nuts coated in sugar for candied nuts.

6. Finish freezing in an air-tight, freezer-proof container.

7. Serve within one week.



No comments: