Sunday, October 20, 2013

Grilled Pork Liempo


Pork "liempo" or pork belly is tricky. It has to be cooked just right and tender enough for it to be considered "delicious" and appreciated. This pork liempo recipe, I marinated the pork in 7-Up soda for 8 hours to ensure tenderness. You can also use this recipe for thin-sliced pork chops.


Here's how I cooked this liempo:

Needed:
2 1/2 lbs pork liempo or pork belly
1 can (regular-sized) can 7-Up soda
1 clove pounded garlic
dash salt and pepper





How to make:
1. As with any meat, rinse the pork and let dry.
2. Lay in a plastic container with a lid. You will marinate the pork in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
3. Add the soda, garlic, salt and pepper. The soda's sweetness will also add flavor, so don't use the "diet" version.
4. Let sit in the container in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. This will ensure that all the seasonings have made it into the meat.
5. Best grilled.

6. Depending on the slices of pork, it can take at least 5 to 7 minutes for the pork to cook through on each side. Continue to turn so all sides are fully-cooked. To make sure it is cooked, slice and make sure the inside is no longer pink. For safety reasons, do not serve pink pork.

7. Best served if sliced in bite-size pieces.

8. Optional: serve with dipping sauce of 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/8 cup water, 1 T crushed garlic, salt, and pepper.

When I went to the market last week to purchase the pork, I noticed there were thinner slices of pork belly. I did not buy those. Instead, I went with these, about 1/4 inches thick. In hindsight, I should have gotten the thinner slices, especially since I was grilling them.

These turned out tender enough and not dry at all. I also ensure that the pork was well-cooked. 


No comments: